Castronovo di Sicilia
Castronovo di Sicilia has very old origins, as demonstrated by some archaeological finds which probably date from prehistoric times. It was certainly inhabited by the Romans and later by the Arabs who were defeated in 1077 by the Normans under Count Ruggero I d’Altavilla who had a new castle built, the Castrum Novum, from which the name of the town is derived.
One of the most important churches of Castronovo is the church of the Holy Trinity. Originally built in 1091 as a military fortress, it was opened for worship in 1388 with a substantial extension to the building. Of the military defence works the two towers can still be seen, one used as a bell tower and the other used as an apse.
Something of great architectural value is Palazzo Giandalia. Built by the Alondres family on the old city wall, it dates from 1200 and contains frescoes by Giuseppe Enea, painter and decorator of the Teatro Massimo of Palermo, archaeological finds related to the customs and trades of other times and the Mario Del Monaco music museum.
Walking in the vicinity of the old house of Rakalbiat you can admire the Fonte Regio, a stone drinking trough dating from 1567.
On the Colle di San Vitale you can enjoy a beautiful panoramic view and visit the remains of an Arabic windmill and two castles, one of Arab origin and one Norman. At the top of the hill there is also the church of Our Lady of the Audience (formerly the mother church, dating from the 12th century) and the church of the Just Judge, or Saint George.
In honour of San Vitale the patron saint festival is celebrated on 9 March with the Trionfo, the procession of bearing the picture of the blessed Elia, grandson and contemporary of the saint. Another heartfelt event at Castronovo di Sicilia is the Festival of the Truscitedda, a culinary and cultural fair which takes its name from the truscia, the typical lunch pack of field workers containing all the typical local products such as cheeses, pastries, oil and cured meats, meat from the Sicanian Mountains.