Standing on the slopes of hill known as collina del Calvario, Campofiorito is a small town founded in 1660 by Prince Stefano Reggio in the fief of Batticani. The things of considerable historic and cultural importance are the Mother Church dedicated to Saint Joseph, built in the 19th century, the Church of Saint Steven, protector of the town, which contains a marble stone with Latin inscriptions discovered in 1935, and the remains of the Scorciavacche palace dating from the sixteen hundreds.
Campofiorito maintains a strong tie with traditions which are kept alive in a series of events throughout the year. The most important event takes place on 19 March, in honour of Saint Joseph, co-patron of the town. August is the time for Estate campofioritana, a series of summer events in Campofiorito with music, theatre, culture and sports that involve local associations. Something deeply felt is the events of 10 October with the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary and 26 December with the feast of the Patron Saint.
At Campofiorito you can taste a great variety of typical products, starting with the bread of Saint Joseph made with durum wheat flour, water, salt, yeast and fennel seeds. Also in honour of the co-patron is the Sfince di San Giuseppe, sweet pastry made with rice or potato flour and sugar, milk and yeast, fried in extra virgin olive oil. At Christmas cucciddati (pastries filled with dried figs, nuts and orange peel) are eaten. During the Easter period traditional foods include the pignolata, made from flour, almonds, sugar and honey, and Easter lambs made of almonds worked into the shape of young sheep.
Local crafts typically use a stone known as lattinusa (after the Italian word latte which means milk) because of its white colour to make various types of objects and accessories.