Baucina stands in a hilly area covered extensively with olive groves, vineyards and almond groves. Its name, which is of Greek origin, does in fact mean a fertile slope. The founding of the town is dated to 8 July 1624, the year in which Prince Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia, then viceroy and captain general of Sicily, granted legal and civil powers over the fief to the Marquis Mariano III Migliaccio. Travelling along the country roads it is easy to come across sites of special archaeological interest and go on pleasant excursions.
Something really notable is the old city centre with is chessboard arrangement of streets. Sights to see include the Church of Saint Rosaly built in 1626 which contains fine sculptures dating from the middle of the seventeen hundreds, the Church of the College of Mary, built in neoclassical style at the end of the 18th century, which contains the remains of Saint Fortunata, the matron and protector of the city, the Church of the Holy Cross and the Calvary Church.
Baucina still jealously guards its ancient traditions which are relived in numerous events. The Feast of Fortunata is the most important and most heartfelt event for the people of Baucina: the majestic urn containing the holy body of the saint is carried on the shoulders of the faithful through the streets of the town while a procession in Roman period costume retraces the most significant periods of Fortunata’s life and martyrdom. The Furriata di li Torci, a procession of horses beautifully adorned with floreal torches made of paper is the central event of the Feast of the Holy Cross. In March instead, the flight to Egypt is staged to celebrate Saint Joseph, followed immediately by a sumptuous banquet known as A Tavulata.