Villa Palagonia is the finest example of suburban baroque architecture in Sicily. Built in 1715 by the prince of Palagonia, Francesco Ferdinando Gravina and Bonanni, it was conceived as a place of recreation and vacation. The villa can be reached by means of a long avenue, after passing under two arches of triumph, the first of which, originally called “three gates”, is no longer visible; the second corresponds to the current arch of the Holy Trinity, recently restored by the local council.
It was Francesco Ferdinand II, grandson of the prince, who created the numerous and grotesque statues and the bizarre furnishings of the villa. Gnomes, centaurs, dragons, musicians playing curious instruments, mythological figures and monsters of all kinds adorn the palace and surround the villa.