The Castle



The most prominent building in Vicari is very definitely the Castle: standing on a rock 700 metres high, it dominates the entire town. The restoration of the castle, which some believe dates back to Roman times, was carried out in 1390 by Manfredi di Chiaramonte. All that remain today are the crenellated walls, the mill tower and the “fausa gate”, along with parts of the water tanks, unearthed by the latest archaeological excavations. This building was mainly used as a fortress: in 1077 Count Roger used it as a base to launch attacks on the castle of Castronovo and in 1278 the castle was counted among the royal fortresses of Sicily.

Informazioni generali


Share


KEEP UP TO DATE WITH OUR SCHEMES

Follow our social channels and subscribe to the newsletter