Church of San Francesco d’Assisi
The first church to be built on the site dates back to 1224, when Saint Francis was still alive. The building has undergone many changes over the years. After the earthquake of 1823 it was adapted to neoclassical taste, until, after being bombed in 1943, Mario Guiotto carried out the restructuring work which gave it the appearance it would have had in the 12th century.
The façade, restored in the 19th century, has a gothic-flowering portal dating back to 1302 and above the loggia is an important rose window reconstructed along the lines of that of St. Augustine.
The interior is embellished with stuccoes by Giacomo Serpotta: the allegorical statues of Chastity, Victory, Humility, Faith, Modesty, Gentleness, Theology, Charity, Truth and Fortune date back to 1723. Also of interest are the frescoes by Pietro Novelli.