The building was erected in the 19thcentury as a residence of the Monachelli family. The latter played a very important role in the history of Bolognetta starting in the 19th century and until 1950: they were landowners, notaries, mayors and priests of the town. On the terrace of the palazzo is an original iron lookout post with spiral staircase and terrace. This observatory was used by the family to control the workers in the fields. The building has been recently expropriated from the mafia and transformed into a Cultural Centre, with information services and tourist facilities.