Villa Butera is the oldest villa in Bagheria. Known as U Palazzu, it was built in 1658 at the behest of Giuseppe Branciforti Prince of Pietraperzia and Leonforte, who decided to go and live in it after losing all hope of obtaining the throne of Sicily. The Prince built a sober castle flanked by two crenellated towers in medieval style. On the pediment of the western tower, towards the city of Palermo, he had the date of his retreat engraved and his greeting: O court, farewell. In the vicinity of the villa, he had a theatre and then a small church built. The latter was the parish branch of Palermo from 1708 to 1771 before the construction of the Madrice Church.