Oratory of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria
The original Oratory of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria, commissioned by the ancient Confraternity of St. Catherine, was built in the late 16th century in the Olivella district, close to the site where a church dedicated to Santa Rosalia once stood. According to tradition, Prince Sinibaldo, father of Santuzza, owned a villa in this neighbourhood, where the Saint lived as a young girl. The new oratory of Santa Caterina was built between the 17th and 18th centuries. The façade, probably created in 1740, is fairly plain: bordered by two pilasters at the edges, the stone portal is surmounted by a window that gives light to the choir stalls, decorated by a shell and double lateral volutes. The stuccoes in the interior are by the sculptor, Serpotta, characterized by statues representing allegorical figures referring to St. Catherine, considered patron of culture.