Oratory of San Lorenzo



The Oratory of San Lorenzo was built in 1570 by the Compagnia di San Francesco on the remains of an ancient church dedicated to St. Lawrence. Entrusted to the friars of the nearby convent of St. Francis, who had the task of burying the poor in the Kalsa district, it was decorated with the stucco work of Giacomo Serpotta in the early-18th century. The oratory is very famous because it was here, in 1609, that Caravaggio painted The Nativity, a work kept in the building until 1969, when it was stolen and never found again.

Informazioni generali


Share


KEEP UP TO DATE WITH OUR SCHEMES

Follow our social channels and subscribe to the newsletter