Santa Chiara Complex
The complex of Santa Chiara with its church, monastery, hermitage and conservatory is located near the Ballarò market. The church dates back to the 17th century and has a single nave. The facade is enhanced by a Baroque bell tower and once featured a beautiful portal by Paolo d’Amato, destroyed by bombs during the last war. A number of works must be mentioned: the Triumph of the Trinity in Antonio Grano’s dome, The vows of St. Clare and St. Francis undressing, two paintings by William Borremans. The monastery dates back to the 14th century, though only one aisle of the cloister still remains intact. Also worthy of mention is the Hermitage dating back to 1724, where some of the nuns could retire, and the Conservatory of 1619, where noble girls received an education.