Church of Santa Maria del Piliere



The church of Santa Maria del Piliere owes its name to a statue of the Virgin with the Child in her arms, found in 1539 in a well and placed on a “piliere” (small pillar in Sicilian dialect). The church was built in 1541 at the behest of the noblewoman, Giulia de Paniculis and is adorned with ten statues of the prophets, stuccoes inspired by the Serpotta school and, in the barrel vault, The birth of Samson probably by Vito D’Anna.
It was one of the many buildings seriously damaged by bombs in 1943, and in the 1960s conservative restoration was carried out.

Informazioni generali


Share


KEEP UP TO DATE WITH OUR SCHEMES

Follow our social channels and subscribe to the newsletter