Church of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria
The church of Santa Caterina d’ Alessandria (Saint Catherine of Alexandria) is one of the most beautiful buildings in Castronovo and dates back to 1523. It is known to the people of the town as the church of the “Badia” (Abbey), because of the existence, until the 19th century, of a monastery of Benedictine nuns, together with an Abbess. The church has a single nave with a semi-scrolling apse and ball-shaped basin. The plain appearance of the present-day façade contrasts with the chromatic richness of the interior, where the 18th-century polychrome stuccoes of Antonio Messina, who hailed from Castronovo, stand out. The high altar was made by an unknown artist in the 18th century with polychrome marble inlays, while the floor is made of granite.