Church of the Immacolata Concezione al Capo
The church of the Immaculate Conception is located in the Capo district where the important Palermo market is staged. The building was part of the Benedictine monastery commissioned by the noblewoman, Laura Ventimiglia. The building was terminated in 1612.
The façade follows the canons of Roman Baroque style, while the interior has a single nave in Renaissance style and shines with the reflection of polychrome marble. The organs in the choir stall are decorated with wood carvings covered in gold. Among the underlying frescoes, the figures of St. Benedict and St. Scholastica stand out. The fresco on the barrel ceiling is called “Il Trionfo degli ordini religiosi” (The Triumph of religious orders) and dates back to the mid-18th century.
The presbytery is preceded by an imposing arch and the high altar is decorated with a painting of L’immacolata Concezione (The Immaculate Conception) by Peter Novelli.