The Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, called the Gancia, was built in the 16th century on the site of the Church of San Girolamo. It is located in the district of the Kalsa or the Law Courts. In 1490 the Franciscan monks began to build the gancia, a home for the needy.
The church houses stuccoes by Serpotta and paintings by Pietro Novelli. Also of major interest is the old choir organ dating back to 1615 and built by Raffaele La Valle.
In 1816, a group of Mazzini followers barricaded themselves inside the church, receiving food through “the hole of salvation” (still visible): so it seems, this was the episode which sparked the revolutionary movements that finally drove the Bourbons out of Sicily.