Castello di Maredolce
The Castle of Maredolce, also known as Palazzo, is located on the slopes of Mount Grifone, in the Favara Park. Probably built between 998 and 1019 in the Arab era, it was renovated by the Normans and became a favourite haunt of kings. The original building was surrounded on three sides by the water of an artificial lake, called “Maredolce”, into which fish of various species were introduced. In his leisure time, the king enjoyed sailing on the lake which, thanks to the abundance of fish was also a fishing reserve. The castle has a rectangular shape with a recess in the east corner which breaks its linearity. The elevations are marked by a series of freely-arranged recessed arches with windows of evident Islamic origin.