Monuments

#viaggiadavvero


Villa Palagonia

Villa Palagonia is the finest example of suburban baroque architecture in Sicily. Built in 1715 by the prince of Palagonia, Francesco Ferdinando Gravina and Bonanni, it was conceived as a place of recreation and vacation. The villa can be reached by means of a long avenue, after passing under two arches of triumph, the first […]


Ballarò market

The Ballarò market is a historical and permanent market in Palermo, which runs along Piazza Casa Professa up to the ramparts of Corso Tukory towards Porta Sant’Agata. Less frequented by tourists, it is the market where the people of Palermo go shopping, surrounded by the “abbanniata”, the characteristic cry of sellers trying to attract the […]


Flea Market

The flea market, near Palermo Cathedral, between Piazza Peranni and Piazza del Papireto, is the Palermo antique market. It originated during the post-war years and is a furniture market, with a permanent exhibition of Italian antiques on display in sheet-metal shacks.


Porta Felice

Porta Felice, which takes its name from Felice Orsini, wife of Spanish viceroy Marcantonio Colonna, is one of the gates of Palermo, built in 1582 to provide a monumental entrance to the Cassaro, the present-day Corso Vittorio Emanuele. The gate facades are very different. The one facing the sea is in Renaissance style grey marble, […]


Massimo Theatre

This Theatre dedicated to Vittorio Emanuele is the largest opera house in Italy and the third-largest in Europe. Opened in March 1897, the neoclassical building has a large staircase that leads to the Corinthian pronaos at the entrance with six columns decorated with Corinthian-Italian capitals that support the pediment. On the sides of the staircase […]


Politeama Theatre

Built in the 19th century, the Politeama theatre is located in Piazza Ruggero Settimo, in the centre of Palermo. In neoclassical style, the entrance is a monumental triumphal arch dominated by bronze sculptures by Mario Rutelli and Benedetto Civiletti. Around the external façade, the semicircular structure of the building extends with the two orders of […]


Palazzo Bonocore

Palazzo Bonocore, dating back to the 16th century, is an ancient aristocratic residence. It has passed through the hands of many owners and undergone several renovation works, but it was the Lo Faso family, with the architect Domenico Lo Faso, who gave an important architectural imprint to the dwelling. The architect Lo Faso had the […]


Church of SS Trinità (called La Magione)

Standing in Piazza della Magione and for this reason better known as the Magione, the Church of the Holy Trinity is located on a vast clearing created by the violent bombardments of 1943. The church itself suffered considerable damage during the attacks and was later partially rebuilt. It was founded in the 12th century by […]


Church of Sant’Anna

The Church of Sant’Anna is located in the Lattarini quarter of the city (where the spice market was once located). The façade, designed by Giovanni Biagio Amico in the 1700s, is enhanced by sculptures by Giacomo Serpotta. Above the entrance is a Pietà by Marabiti. Inside are valuable frescoes, including a vault ceiling decorated with […]


Church of the Carmine Maggiore

The Church of the Carmine Maggiore is located in the Albergheria district. The origins of the Church date back to the arrival of the Carmelite Friars in Palermo in 1235, but the current church was built in the 17th century. The building has a Latin cross layout with central nave and two aisles, supported by […]


Church of San Domenico

The church of San Domenico, one of Palermo’s most famous monuments, is located in the namesake square. It was founded in 1300 and later extended in 1458. In 1640 Andrea Cirincione designed the final church to which the present-day façade was added in 1726, after the opening of the new square. The façade is enhanced […]


Church of San Francesco d’Assisi

The first church to be built on the site dates back to 1224, when Saint Francis was still alive. The building has undergone many changes over the years. After the earthquake of 1823 it was adapted to neoclassical taste, until, after being bombed in 1943, Mario Guiotto carried out the restructuring work which gave it […]


Church of San Matteo

The Church of San Matteo (St. Mathew) dates back to 1633; its baroque style facade is made entirely of dull-grey marble and is the work of Carlo D’Aprile and Gaspare Guercio. The layout is Latin cross, with central nave and two side aisles, barrel vault ceiling and dome. Above the main gate are the high […]


Church of the Madonna delle Croci

Consecrated in 1843, the Church of the Madonna delle Croci (Our Lady of the Crosses) is located at the highest point of the city, on the slopes of Mount Caputo. Legend has it that it was Our Lady who outlined the characteristics of the Shrine, when she appeared to Matteo Quartuccio, who had gone to […]


Monreale Cathedral

Proclaimed “World Heritage Site” by UNESCO in 2015, the Cathedral of Monreale is known for its extraordinary 6400 square metres of Byzantine mosaics which decorate the interior. The Cathedral, which stands on the steep sides of Mount Caputo, was built at the behest of William II, called “The Good”: legend has it that in 1174 […]


Villa Cattolica

Villa Cattolica was built in 1736 by the Prince of Cattolica Eraclea, Francesco Bonanno, as a summer residence. The baroque style of the villa is reminiscent of a quadrangular castle with two parallel exedra, from one of which departs the baroque staircase with double ramp that leads to the upper floor; from the other, a […]


Palazzo Butera

Villa Butera is the oldest villa in Bagheria. Known as U Palazzu, it was built in 1658 at the behest of Giuseppe Branciforti Prince of Pietraperzia and Leonforte, who decided to go and live in it after losing all hope of obtaining the throne of Sicily. The Prince built a sober castle flanked by two […]


Castle of the Margana

The Castle of the Margana is an ancient fortress built on a rocky outcrop characterized by smooth, steeply sloping walls near the river Margana. The castle was built in the early 13th century by Teutonic knights, called to Sicily in 1197. For a long time, the castle was an excellent defensive bulwark in the area […]


Church of Monte Calvario

The small Church of Monte Calvario (Mount Calvary) was built in the second half of the 19th century, at the end of Via Vittorio Emanuele in Ventimiglia di Sicilia. The layout is triangular and the entrance is delineated by two massive pillars of tuff stone and by a gate. The tomb of Christ is symbolized […]


Church of the Madonna della Grazia “Madonna della Rocca”

La Chiesa della Madonna della Grazia sorge sull’altopiano dell’Apurchialora, dove i paesi di Ciminna e Ventimiglia di Sicilia si guardano. La leggenda narra che la Principessa Beatrice, affacciatasi al balcone del suo palazzo, vide un lume nella campagna circostante. Mandati alcuni uomini sul posto, trovarono, incagliata tra due grandi rocce, un’immagine rappresentante la Madonna che […]


Church of Sant’Antonio Abate

The Church of Sant’Antonio Abate (Saint Anthony the Abbott) was built around the mid-17th century and has a number of valuable decorations and stuccoes which adorn the façade. Inside is a wooden statue of St. Anthony of Padua dating back to the 17th century, an 18th-century statue of Our Lady of Sorrows and a painting […]


Former Maiorca Church – Church of Saint Eligius (Sant’Aluoi)

The small Church, originally a private chapel of the Maiorca family, was built in the 19th century and is dedicated to St. Eligius. The structure of the church is circular and inside is a wooden choir stall and the nave dominated by a dome. The apse is closed by a barrel vault ceiling. The interior […]


The Castle

The most prominent building in Vicari is very definitely the Castle: standing on a rock 700 metres high, it dominates the entire town. The restoration of the castle, which some believe dates back to Roman times, was carried out in 1390 by Manfredi di Chiaramonte. All that remain today are the crenellated walls, the mill […]


Church of San Marco

The Church dedicated to St. Mark was built around 1500. It has a single nave and outside, on the north side, a portico. The interior is in typical Sicilian Baroque style. The polychrome wooden statues in the chapels are of great artistic interest. One of the statues represents St. Mark the Evangelist and was made […]


The Mother Church of San Giorgio Martire

The Mother Church of Vicari is dedicated to St. George Martyr. Of Norman origin (built around 1200), it was renovated with Baroque details. It has a Latin Cross layout with a nave and two side aisles. The church contains major works such as a canvas of Saint Rosalia by Pietro Novelli, the Immaculate Conception by […]


Villa San Marco

Villa San Marco was built in 1673 at the behest of the Count of San Marco, Vincenzo Giuseppe Filangeri. It is an example of Mannerist style architecture: military elements (merlons, drawbridge, angular bastions) merge with those of residential architecture (chapels, double ramp staircases, balconies). In the gardens, called “floretta” and “fruittiera” are monumental-size trees.


Villa San Cataldo

Villa San Cataldo was built in the early-18th century by the family of the princes Galletti di San Cataldo, and then radically transformed at the end of the 19th century and decorated in neo-Gothic style. The villa consists of a long two-storey building, distinguished by corner turrets, next to a courtyard with a small internal […]


Villa Spedalotto

Built between 1784 and 1793, Villa Spedalotto was commissioned in 1783 by Don Barbaro Arezzo. The Villa, surrounded by an expanse of citrus groves and greenery, is built around an open courtyard, with two service sections which branch out from the main body, in the centre of which is a pronaos in neoclassical style. Attached […]


The Church of Maria Santissima Addolorata (Sant’Elia)

The Church of Maria Santissima Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows) is located in the village of Sant’Elia. The church was built in 1733 over an original chapel dating back to 1365.


Villa Valdina

Villa Valdina is a holiday residence, built between the 17th and 18th centuries by the Papè family, Princes of Valdina and protonotaries of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. It is located in the centre of the Solanto plain, surrounded by a large agricultural estate. It is a baroque villa with two courtyards, one oval […]


Church of M. SS. Di Fatima

Inaugurated in 1966, the Church of the M. SS. di Fatima (Holy Mary of Fatima) was built at the behest of Mr. Antonino Zagone of Ventimiglia di Sicilia following a vow made to Our Lady herself. The entrance to the Church is delineated by a staircase with fifteen elevations and a main façade characterised by […]


Castello a Mare

The Castello a Mare is part of the Castellammare Archaeological Park, an area that since 2006 has undergone various excavation and restoration works which have brought to light most of the masonry structures of the original fortified complex. Until the 20th century, Castello a Mare was an important defensive bulwark, the scene of insurrectionary uprisings […]


Castle of the duke of Salapalutra

The castle of the Duke of Salaparuta is the oldest monument in Casteldaccia. Located in the centre of town, it dominates the Gulf and was built in the middle-ages, around 1400. The Castle belonged to various noble families until, in 1824 Eduardo Alliata, Duke of Salaparuta, set up the Corvo winery and built cellars inside […]


The Capuchin Catacombs

The cemetery of the Capuchin Friars’ Convent, known as the Catacombs of the Capuchins of Palermo, is one of the most impressive places in the world because of the state of conservation of the corpses which can be seen here and which represent magnificent examples of the ancient tradition of mummification. The excavations of these […]


Church of Santa Maria in Valverde

The church of Santa Maria in Valverde is located in Largo dei Cavalieri di Malta. It was built in the 14th century and renovated in 1633 by Mariano Smiriglio. The building has a single nave; the vault was frescoed by Antonio Grato and on the sides are sculptures by Andrea Palma and Paolo Amato.


Church of Santa Caterina

The church of Santa Caterina (St. Catherine) is linked to a Dominican monastery founded in 1310, which between 1580 and 1596 was enhanced with this new building. The façade is in late Renaissance style, has two flights of stairs and an imposing portal. The building features a dome dating back to the 18th century. The […]


Diocesan Museum

The Diocesan Museum of Palermo, which is housed in a number of rooms in the Archbishop’s Palace, was inaugurated in 1927 by Archbishop Alessandro Lualdi. The collection of the first exhibition was mainly made up of the sculptures that decorated the Cathedral, before it was transformed according to neoclassical style. In 1952 the works were […]


Vucciria Market

Initially a meat market, called the “Bucciria” from the French “boucherie”, the Vucciria is one of the four historical markets of Palermo, located in the quadrilateral between the current Via Roma, Piazza San Domenico, Via Cala and Corso Vittorio Emanuele. Ever since the middle ages, its closeness to the port has made it the preferred […]


Mikveh

The Mikveh is a Jewish ritual bath, mainly used by women: after menstruation and childbirth, the women descended into an underground room full of water, reachable by means of about ten steps each twenty centimetres high, to fully soak and thus purify themselves. The water of the Mikveh had to be pure, i.e., spring water, […]


Capo Market

The market in the “Il Capo” district is another of the four historical markets of Palermo. The neighbourhood took shape in the Muslim era, inhabited by the Schiavoni, who were pirates and slave traders. The local market is famous for the sale of fish, but all kinds of food products can be found at low […]


Salinas Museum

The Regional Archaeological Museum “Antonio Salinas” in Palermo contains collections of Greek and Punic art and has been reopened after a recent restoration and modernization. The exhibition extends around the two splendid cloisters and also includes the cells of the northern aisle of the Major Cloister, recovered as new exhibition spaces. One section of the […]


Oratory of Santi Pietro e Paolo

The Oratory of the Saints Peter and Paul was built in 1697 as a chapel adjacent to the Ospedale dei Sacerdoti. Designed by Paolo Amato, the portal is baroque, characterized by flowering twisted columns and surmounted by a tympanum with curly scrolls. The interior has a single nave. The fresco on the vault, the Coronation […]


Oratory of Santa Cita

The Oratory of the Rosary in Santa Cita was inaugurated in 1686 by the company of S. Rosario in Santa Cita in Via Valverde, in the old-city centre of Palermo. The oratory was not only a place of worship, but also of assembly: the Society was very rich and prestigious and the oratory therefore reflects […]


Oratory of San Lorenzo

The Oratory of San Lorenzo was built in 1570 by the Compagnia di San Francesco on the remains of an ancient church dedicated to St. Lawrence. Entrusted to the friars of the nearby convent of St. Francis, who had the task of burying the poor in the Kalsa district, it was decorated with the stucco […]


Oratory of San Mercurio

The present oratory of St. Mercurius is the only one left of the three owned by the ancient company of the Madonna della Consolazione in San Mercurio, founded in 1572. The present Oratory was decorated by the young Giacomo Serpotta in 1678: the particular beauty of its baroque stuccoes, depicting putti, make the Oratory one […]


Oratory of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria

The original Oratory of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria, commissioned by the ancient Confraternity of St. Catherine, was built in the late 16th century in the Olivella district, close to the site where a church dedicated to Santa Rosalia once stood. According to tradition, Prince Sinibaldo, father of Santuzza, owned a villa in this neighbourhood, where the […]


Palazzo Ajutamicristo

Palazzo Ajutamicristo, located in via Garibaldi, is a noble palace which the banker, Guglielmo Ajutamicristo, baron of Misilmeri and Calatafimi, had built. He wanted to live in Palermo to better manage his business. Built at the end of the 15th century, the palace underwent numerous renovation works and is now in Gothic-Catalan style with Baroque […]


Palazzo Alliata di Villafranca

Pallazzo Alliata di Villafranca was originally an extension of a 16th-century building belonging to the Beccadelli family of Bologna, from which the square where the Palazzo is located, Piazza Bologni, takes its name. The building, owned by the Alliata family, was restored in the mid-18th century, with the participation of several famous architects of the […]


Palazzo Asmundo

Palazzo Asmundo dates back to 1615 and takes its name from one of its owners, the Lord Chief Justice, Giuseppe Asmundo, Marquis of Sessa. Located in the centre of Palermo, on what is now Corso Vittorio Emanuele, the building is a typical 18th-century noble residence, rich in sculptures, frescos and paintings through which the aristocracy […]


Palazzo Riso

Palazzo Belmonte Riso, also known as RISO, Contemporary Art Museum of Sicily, is located in Corso Vittorio Emanuele, Palermo. Completed in 1784, it is an example of Baroque style that leaves room for neoclassicism. The museum is one of the most important exhibition centres of the Sicilian Region and, at the time of its construction, […]


Bellini Theatre

The Bellini theatre takes its name from the musician Vincenzo Bellini, who hailed from Catania, to whom the theatre was dedicated in 1860. The theatre, in operation from the 19th century until the fire that devastated it in 1964, has recently been reopened by the Teatro Biondo Stabile of Palermo.


Santa Cecilia Theatre

Built in the 17th century, the Santa Cecilia Theatre is Sicily’s oldest stage theatre. It was founded in 1692 by the Union of Musicians and functioned until 1888. In 2016, the theatre was restored to its original state thanks to EU funding and the events of the Brass Group Foundation.


Tower of San Nicolò all’Alberghiera

Since medieval times, one of the most beautiful views of Palermo can be enjoyed from the tower of San Nicolò all’Albergheria. Built in the 13th century, the tower has four levels: from the first level, access can be gained into the rectory of the church of San Nicolò (St. Nicholas), from where a stone staircase […]


The Water Towers

The water towers date back to the Arab (or even Roman) period and are located in various parts of the city where the walls of old Palermo once stood. These towers, also known as castelletti, were part of a water supply system used until the turn of the 20th century: until 1885, water reached the […]


Villa di Napoli

Villa di Napoli is a 17th-century residence named after the last owners, the family of the lawyer Carlo Di Napoli, who moved there in 1730. Built on the remains of an Arab-Norman cubula, in the Cuba-Calatafimi district of Palermo, over the years it has undergone many changes and extensions. The present rectangular structure features a […]


Church of the Forty Martyrs at Guilla

The Church of the Forty Martyrs at Guilla was built in 1605 and named after forty Christian soldiers of the Roman legion who were condemned in 320 AD to die in a frozen swamp. Over the portal of the facade in tuff is the coat of arms of the city of Pisa: the Church was […]


Aqueduct

The monumental aqueduct of Ficarazzi was built in the 15th century with the aim of bringing water to the sugar cane plantations. It consists of two arched bridges, of which there are nine in all. The second bridge was commissioned by Prince Giardina in the 17th century to convey water to his estates.


Archaeological Area of Mount Maranfusa

In Roccamena, on Mount Maranfusa, is an archaeological area where a late-6th century native settlement was recently uncovered. Dating back to between the 6th and 5th centuries, the first building consists of three environments. The second building, which lies on top of a wall of the first building, has an elongated layout. Inside, furnishing items […]


Villa Valguanera

Built by the Princes Valguarnera in 1721 to a project by architect Tommaso Maria Napoli, the villa is still owned by their heirs, the Princes Alliata of Villafranca. It stands on the slopes of the Montagnola, a small hill about 165 metres high, from which views of the gulfs of Palermo and Termini Imerese can […]


Villa Trabia

Villa Trabia was built in the mid 1700s by Michele Gravina, Prince of the Comitini, and then bought by Prince Pietro Lanza di Trabia who, in 1890, ordered the restoration work which profoundly changed the original appearance of the building. The neoclassical structure of the villa shows pilasters, lintels and ornaments in white stucco on […]


Villa San Cataldo

Villa San Cataldo, located to the north-east of Bagheria, differs from the other baroque villas of the town in that it lacks the characteristic access staircase and entrance courtyard. The villa was built in baroque style by the princes Galletti di San Cataldo in the early-18th century, before being renovated in Gothic style in 1860: […]


Villa Merlo

Giuseppe Merlo, who in 1781 acquired the title of Marquis of St. Elizabeth from the Gravina family, chose Ficarazzi as his summer residence, buying in the same period a rustic “baglio” which he transformed into a villa: Villa Merlo. The main body of the villa features the classic layout of the houses of the time, […]


Archaeological site of Soluntum

Situated on Mount Catalano, about 2 km from Santa Flavia, are the ruins of the ancient Soluntum, a Hellenistic-Roman city built around the mid-4th century BC and abandoned at the end of the 2nd-century AD. It was founded by the Carthaginians in the 4th-century BC, perhaps on the remains of a more ancient Phoenician settlement; […]


Basilica Soluntina di Sant’Anna

The Basilica Soluntina di Sant’Anna (dedicated to St. Anne), in the heart of the old-town centre of Santa Flavia, was built at the beginning of the 17th century on a pre-existing rural chapel dedicated to St. Anne. In 1666, the Church land was purchased by the Filangeri family, who built a villa next to it: […]


Cocchieri (Coachmen’s) Chapel

The Cocchieri crypt is the hidden jewel of the church of Santa Maria dell’Itria alla Kalsa, in Via Alloro. The church, commissioned by the Confraternity of Coachmen, was completed in 1611 over the crypt of the Confraternity of Carters. The Sepulchral crypt is a vast underground room with a rectangular layout which extends below the […]


Chapel and Loggia dell’Incoronazione

The Coronation Lodge was to have been the place where, after been crowned, the kings showed themselves to the people. The chapel can be dated to between the 16th and 17th centuries, but some elements (columns, capitals) come from a previous Aghlabid construction.


Castellaccio

Built in the 12th century as a fortress and a hospital for Benedictine monks, the Castellaccio di Monreale is located on top of Monte Caputo. The castle has a rectangular layout with some irregularities and seven protruding towers on the outside. In 1393 it was home to King Martin I and soon after it was […]


Castello di Castronovo

Dell’antico castello di Castronovo, che sorge a 750 metri d’altitudine sul colle San Vitale, oggi rimangono pochi ruderi ancora leggibili. Il Castello venne fatto edificare nel 1077 da Ruggero e nel 1302 divenne il quartier generale di Federico II d’Aragona. Il complesso architettonico si sviluppava su pianta irregolare e comprendeva una torre cilindrica ed una cisterna con copertura a […]


Castello di Maredolce

The Castle of Maredolce, also known as Palazzo, is located on the slopes of Mount Grifone, in the Favara Park. Probably built between 998 and 1019 in the Arab era, it was renovated by the Normans and became a favourite haunt of kings. The original building was surrounded on three sides by the water of […]


Porta d’Ossuna Catacombs

The early-Christian catacomb of Porta d’Ossuna is an underground cemetery in the natural depression of the Paliretus in the north-west part of Palermo. These catacombs, which were discovered in 1739, represent the most monumental testimony of late antiquity in Palermo and early Christianity in Sicily. Along the corridors we find arcosolia, burial chambers embedded in […]


Church of the Calvario

The Church of Calvary was built in 1810 using funds raised among the populace. The monastery of St. Anthony Abbot, dating back to 1520, once stood on the present site. The building has a circular shape consisting of a central part with two small compartments – sacristy on the sides. The whole is surrounded by […]


Church of the Calvario

The church of Calvary was built in the late-18th century, mainly for rural worship. The church is located on top of a hill near the Fondaco neighbourhood and consists of a single nave. On the sides of the aisle are fourteen niches in which the stations of the “Via Crucis” are located; in fact the […]


Church of the Carmine and convent

Built by the Carmelite Order in the 16th century, the Carmelite Church, with its convent, became one of the city’s major religious centres. The church has a nave and two aisles and is now open to worship, but the convent was used first as a prison and then as a hospital.


Church of the Redentore

The church of the Redeemer was built in the late-19th century. The small church consists of a single nave, and was restored at the end of the 20th century. It is located in the intermediate part of Mount Malamoneta, at the bottom of which is Piazza Santa Fortunata and the Mother Church, while at the […]


Church of Sant’Agata del Monte

Built in 1589 by the Monte di Pietà company, the Church of Sant’Agata del Monte features a nave and two aisles and stucco work by Procopio Serpotta as well as beautiful majolica floors. The church is currently closed and abandoned.


Church of the Santo Sepolcro

The construction of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre began in 1740, at the behest of Prince Don Nicolò Branciforti. Originally featuring a single nave, the church was enlarged and renovated over the centuries, until the present-day structure was achieved: three naves with barrel roofs and the characteristic “cupolette”, the facade in neo-Gothic style and […]


Church of SS Crocifisso

The Church of the Holy Crucifix, of Greek-Byzantine rite, is located in the neighbourhood of Mezzojuso which bears its name. The exact date of construction of the church is still unknown, but it is believed to have existed before 1618. Inside, the esteemed “fercolo” “la vara” of 1648 can be seen with the 15th-century Crucifix, […]


Church of SS Salvatore

The church of SS Salvatore was built on Norman ruins between 1682 and 1704, according to a project by Paolo Amato. The Baroque style building has a polygonal layout, surmounted by a dome with fresco by Vito D’Anna depicting the Apotheosis of San Basil. The outside is covered with polychrome marble partially restored.


Church of the Angelo Custode

The Church of the Angelo Custode (Guardian Angel) was built in the early 18th century by the congregation of footmen in post-Baroque style. The building is divided onto two levels; the lower floor exploits the premises of a first church built by the confreres and is used as a crypt. The church, which has a […]


Church of the Immacolata Concezione al Capo

The church of the Immaculate Conception is located in the Capo district where the important Palermo market is staged. The building was part of the Benedictine monastery commissioned by the noblewoman, Laura Ventimiglia. The building was terminated in 1612. The façade follows the canons of Roman Baroque style, while the interior has a single nave […]


Church of the Immacolata Concezione

The Mother Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, is the major historical testimony of Godrano’s past. Built in 1791 and embellished by the Roccaforte family, feudal lords of the area, it contains a beautiful statue of Mary Immaculate in polychrome wood dating back to the late-18th century, included in the figurative arts circuit of the […]


Church of the Immacolata Concezione

The Church of the Immaculate Conception of Baucina was built in 1749. Inside the church, no longer used for liturgical worship, a mechanical crèche was on display until 2014, renowned for the great technical expertise and craftsmanship which had gone into it. The church is soon expected to undergo major restoration work.  


Church of Odigitria

The Church dedicated to Our Lady of Odigitria, built in 1596 by the Company of St. Francis of Assisi, is currently closed and in a state of neglect. Inside are frescoes by Novelli and stuccowork by Serpotta.


Collegiate Church

The Church of the Saviour, called “della Collegiata”, is located in the Carrubella neighbourhood and is perhaps the most important place of worship of Monreale. The building was first erected in 1450, but originally it was only a rural church, enlarged in the 17th century following the spread of the cult of the Holy Crucifix. […]


Gancia Church

The Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, called the Gancia, was built in the 16th century on the site of the Church of San Girolamo. It is located in the district of the Kalsa or the Law Courts. In 1490 the Franciscan monks began to build the gancia, a home for the needy. The church […]


Church of the Madonna del Carmelo

The church of the Madonna del Carmelo is the most important religious building in the municipality of Bolognetta. The church, built between 1603 and 1605 and several times enlarged in the years after, contains a painting of Jesus bearing the cross, attributed to Zoppo di Gangi, a wooden statue of Christ Crucified attributed to Fra […]


Church of the Madonna del Rosario

The church of the Madonna del Rosario (Our Lady of the Rosary) was built in 1621, with stucco work created by the sculptor Antonio Messina, a native of Castronovo, in 1770. In 1950 the church was split into two parts, one of which was demolished to make room for the present-day Corso Umberto I. The […]


Church of the Santissima Trinità

Attached to the College of Mary, the Church of the Santissima Trinità (Most Holy Trinity) is one of a kind because of its octagonal plan. The interior is decorated with frescoes and features four minor altars, flanked by 18th-century style pilasters, many of which are positioned between the main entrance and the two side entrances […]


Church of the Anime Sante

Built in 1722, the Church of the Holy Souls was renovated and completed in the 19th century. It was at that time that the wall paintings in the chapels, the stuccoes and the frescoes were made. Today the church, called “La Gioia di Bagheria”, has three naves divided by columns. Inside are nine altars on […]


Church of Maria SS. Annunziata

The Church of Maria Santissima Annunziata, of Norman origin and Latin rite, is one of the two Mother Churches of Mezzojuso, located on top of a flight of steps in the main square of the town. The original small church was built after the expulsion of the Saracens in the first half of the 11th […]


Church of Maria SS. Loreto

The small Church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Loreto, has an important value for the people of Ciminna because it is the only country church still intact and functioning. The church, founded by the Franciscans in 1503, and which has a single nave, comes alive every 8 September for the feast dedicated to Mary’s […]


Church of San Castrense

The church dedicated to St. Castrensis, patron saint of Monreale, was built in 1499 with an annexed Benedictine monastery of nuns, although the relics of the Saint are kept in the famous Cathedral. On the main altar is an altarpiece by Novelli depicting the Saint with the Madonna, Child, angels and other saints.


Church of San Francesco

Mention of a chapel dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi in Castronovo di Sicilia dates back to 1346. The current church of St. Francis was built over the chapel in 1556. The church features a single nave without a transept, completed by a square apse with a lunette-shaped barrel roof, resting on Corinthian capitals. The […]


Church of San Francesco d’ Assisi

The Franciscan Friars Minor, present in Ciminna since the 15th century, built the convent in the town along with the annexed church dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi in 1490. Inside the church, which has an 18th-century neoclassical style, is the painting of the Immaculate Conception by the painter, Vito D’Anna from Palermo (1766) and […]


Church of San Giacomo

The church of St. James, very close to that of St. John the Baptist, was renovated in 1894 but its origin dates back to the 16th century. Originally it was a synagogue built by the Jewish community which has lived in Ciminna since the 15th century. The church was dedicated to St. James because he […]


Church of San Giorgio dei Genovesi

The church of San Giorgio dei Genovesi was built by Giorgio Faccio between 1576 and 1581, at the behest of the rich Genoese community in Palermo. The Genoese bought the namesake church from the confraternity of San Luca, demolishing it and erecting a new building dedicated to one of the saints dearest to Genoese tradition. […]


Church of San Giovanni Battista

The Church of St. John the Baptist, built in the 16th century, houses works from the 15th to the 18th centuries and a crucifix venerated because of the miracles attributed to it, including that of having cured a child suffering from hernia. The church has a magnificent late-baroque façade, with three entrance doors, a portal […]


Church of San Giovanni dei Lebbrosi

The church of San Giovanni dei Lebbrosi was built in 1071 by Roger I of Sicily. It was only completed in 1150 when a leprosarium was annexed. The building is in Sicilian-Norman style, with a Latin cross layout, a nave and two side aisles. The altar is decorated with a 15th-century crucifix, while on the […]


Church of San Giuseppe

The history of the church of St. Joseph, which dates back to the 15th century, is wrapped in legend, according to which, in the place where the church now stands there was an ancient chapel dedicated to the sacred family. A woman lived nearby, who often lit the lamp of the chapel, collected alms and […]


Church of San Marco

The church of St. Mark, the oldest in Baucina, was built in 1535 by the nobleman, Don Antonio Ventimiglia, owner of the feudal estate of San Marco. Located on the southern outskirts of the town, the interior has a single nave. The apse is decorated with pilasters of the Ionic capital in polychrome which flank […]


Church of San Nicolò di Mira

The Church of San Nicolò di Mira is one of the two Mother Churches of Mezzojuso. The 16th-century church, of Greek rite, preserves six late-Byzantine tables of a dismembered iconostasis, the only testimony of Byzantine rite. The building was renovated in baroque style and has a nave surmounted by a barrel vault. Inside are a […]


Chiesa di San Pietro

A 5Km dal centro abitato, si trova il casale San Pietro risalente al periodo bizantino con l’annessa chiesa ormai sconsacrata. L’edificio viene ricordato in quanto il 10 luglio 1391 Manfredi Chiaramonte, Conte di Castronovo, che aveva preso impegno con il legato del Papa Bonifacio IX di far cessare le discordie interne nella Sicilia, vi convocò […]


Church of San Vitale

The Church of Saint Vitale was built in the 17th century on the remains of the royal chapel attached to the castle founded by Roger. The church has two Gothic-style double lancet windows on the eastern façade and is rich in stuccowork by Antonio Messina. San Vitale da Castronovo, now patron saint of the town, […]


Church of San Vito

The small church of St. Vitus, dedicated to the patron saint of Ciminna, stands on a hill to the south of the town. The date of its construction is uncertain, but until 1610 a brotherhood devout to St. Vitus was established here. The commemorations of the Patron Saint take place on 15 June with the […]


Church of San Vito Martire

Originally the private chapel of Palazzo Ventimiglia, the Church of San Vito Martire (St. Vitus Martyr) was particularly dear to Princess Beatrice. The building, consecrated in 1653, has undergone periods of splendour, renovations and total abandonment over the centuries. Inside the church are a wooden Crucifix made from a single block, dating back to the […]


Church of Sant’Agostino

The church of St Augustine dates back to the 13th century and was entrusted to the Augustinian order. The façade was financed by the Sclàfani and Chiaramonte families (on the sides it is possible to admire their coats of arms). The portal is gothic and a prominent feature is the beautiful and important rose window. […]


Church of S. Antonio Abate

Outside the town of Ciminna is the church dedicated to St. Anthony Abbot. The date of this church is uncertain, but precedes the mid-16th century. It is the largest of the churches outside town and is divided into a nave and two aisles, on the walls of which are rough paintings representing some episodes of […]


Church of Sant’Atanasio

The Mother Church of Ficarazzi is dedicated to St. Athanasius and was built around 1722 with a contribution from Prince Giardina. The facade of the church has a portal in rugged stone, a circular window with lime decorations, a 25 m bell tower and a clock with a characteristic sound. Inside, the long and wide […]


Church of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria

The church of Santa Caterina d’ Alessandria (Saint Catherine of Alexandria) is one of the most beautiful buildings in Castronovo and dates back to 1523. It is known to the people of the town as the church of the “Badia” (Abbey), because of the existence, until the 19th century, of a monastery of Benedictine nuns, […]


Church of Santa Ciriaca

The remains of the Church of Santa Ciriaca are of particular importance because the building was erected in the Arab era, as early as 827 and even before the cathedrals of Palermo and Monreale. The church was a bulwark of the Christian faith lived and practiced during Arab dominance, but slowly lost its importance until […]


Church of Santa Caterina la Vetere

The church of Santa Maria del Piliere owes its name to a statue of the Virgin with the Child in her arms, found in 1539 in a well and placed on a “piliere” (small pillar in Sicilian dialect). The church was built in 1541 at the behest of the noblewoman, Giulia de Paniculis and is […]


Church of Santa Lucia

The Church of St. Lucy was built in the 15th century and is the oldest church in Ciminna. The interior, which houses works of art from the 15th to the 18th centuries, features stucco decorations.


Church of Santa Maria degli Agonizzanti

Located in front of Monreale Cathedral, the Church of Santa Maria degli Agonizzanti was built in the 15th century on a pre-existing Arab building. Covered by a vault, it was adorned with high-relief and stucco decorations and statues by Serpotta. Inside the church, a Norman wall has been uncovered: decorated with “blind ogival architectures”, it […]


Church of Santa Maria del Piliere

The church of Santa Maria del Piliere owes its name to a statue of the Virgin with the Child in her arms, found in 1539 in a well and placed on a “piliere” (small pillar in Sicilian dialect). The church was built in 1541 at the behest of the noblewoman, Giulia de Paniculis and is […]


Church of Santa Maria della Catena

The Church of Santa Maria della Catena can be reached by means of a high staircase from the Doganella square. It owes its name to the chain on an external wall, which was used in ancient times to close the port. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century in Gothic-Catalan style with […]


Church of Santa Maria di Monte Oliveto (Church of the Badia Nuova)

The church of Santa Maria di Monte Oliveto with its Baroque façade is adjacent to the archiepiscopal seminary. The interior features a barrel vault ceiling by Pietro Novelli, which depicts the Ascension in the central octagon, surrounded by the Franciscan Saints of Joachim Martorana. Giuseppe Serpotta’s stuccoes decorate the choir stalls, the narthex (space between […]


Church of Santa Maria di tutte le Grazie

Located in the north-west part of town, the Church of Santa Maria di tutte le Grazie is annexed to the Basilian Monastery. Built in 1501, the church consists of a single nave with six small side chapels. The nave is separated from the Vima by an iconostasis with paintings from the 17th-18th centuries, once belonging […]


Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena

La chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena è nel quartiere di San Giacomo, all’interno del complesso della caserma dell’Arma dei Carabinieri. Esisteva in principio un’originaria cappella dedicata alla Maddalena, usata per seppellire i membri della famiglia regnante, fu demolita però nel 1187 per lasciare spazio alla realizzazione del progetto della cattedrale. La chiesa venne ricostruita nelle […]


Church of Santa Rosalia

Castronovo di Sicilia also has a church dedicated to Saint Rosalia. It recalls the plague which decimated the town in the 15th century and the Saint who finally freed it of the scourge. Embellished with stuccoes in 1770, and restored again in 1964, it houses a wooden statue of the Saint, the work of an […]


Church of Santa Rosalia

The Church of Santa Rosalia (St. Rosalia) was built in 1781 in the Passamonte district as a sign of thanks to the Palermo Saint for having freed the community from cholera. The church was conceived as a stage backdrop at the end of the wide road leading up to it, and stood on a large […]


Church of Santa Rosalia

  The Church of St. Rosalia, a parish church since 1958, is rectangular in shape and has a single nave. Above the altar there a painting on canvas by Gaspare Serenario, “Santa Rosalia stops on the Barra hill”. Only one altar of the four original ones remains at the side of the nave. Above the […]


Church of Santo Stefano

In 1760, Prince Stefano Reggio Gravina commissioned the building of the church of St. Stephen, a proto-martyr, whose statue can still be admired inside the church, along with the altar of Our Lady of Sorrows, a gift of Francesco Settineri, and the altar of San Francesco di Paola, a gift from the town’s Jesuits. Next […]


Mother Church of the Santissima Trinità

The Mother Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built in 1091 as a military garrison. It was consecrated in 1404. The Church has a Latin cross layout, with various chapels on the sides, and ends in a single apse. The various stone inscriptions bear witness to the passage of the populations that conquered Castronovo […]


Mother Church of San Giuseppe and Santo Stefano

The Mother Church of Campofiorito, dedicated to St. Stephen and St. Joseph, was built in 1804. It has a single nave with side altars and semicircular apse. In the centre of the choir stalls, on the high altar in baroque style, stands the statue of St. Joseph, by Bagnasco. On the opposite wall are the […]


Mother Church of Santa Maria Maddalena

The Mother Church of Ciminna, is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene. The beauty of this church bewitched Luchino Visconti, who in 1962 shot here some scenes of his film, “The Leopard”. The precise period of its foundation is not known, but the original church was probably built, together with the town itself, around 1200. The […]


Mother Church of the Immaculate Conception

The Mother Church of the Immaculate Conception, was completed in 1628 and built at the behest of Princess Beatrice Del Carretto. In 1684, the extension works began of the Senate architect, Paolo Amato, with the addition of two side aisles with square pillars and six arches, maintaining, at least externally, a classical architectural style. Inside […]


Mother Church of Santa Rosalia

The Mother Church of Santa Rosalia is the only Church dedicated to the saint outside Palermo. The Baron of Baucina, Francesco Calderone had built the Mother Church of Baucina, which was completed in 1764. The facade of the building is in neoclassical style and consists of eight pilasters, four per part, ending with capitals in […]


Mother Church of SS Pietro e Paolo

The Mother Church SS Pietro e Paolo (dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul) was built in 1641 at the behest of the Princess of Roccapalumba, Stefania Anzalone Corsetti. The Church, which retains an 18th-century style, has a single nave. The semicircular apse is raised and separated from the enclosure by an arch, where the […]


Madrice church

The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary stands in place of the old church once located inside Palazzo Butera, declared in 1708 to be a part of Palermo Cathedral. The Madrice church was built in 1976 at the behest of Prince Salvatore Branciforti of Butera, who appointed architect Salvatore Attinelli from Palermo […]


Church of Maria SS del Lume-Porticello

Situated in the beautiful seaside village of Porticello, the Church of Maria Santissima del Lume of Santa Flavia was built around 1700. The Church contains the much worshipped painting of the Madonna del Lume (Mother of Light)  painted, according to tradition, by the priest Jan Antonio Genovese, of the company of Jesus, who died in […]


Church Maria SS della Luce

Situated on the suggestive crevice of the “Rocca”, the 600-metre long rock at the foot of which stands Roccapalumba, is the Church of Maria SS della Luce. Inside the church is a painting depicting the Virgin and Child which, according to legend, was found between the crevices of the Rocca and the monolith. Of the […]


Church Sanctuary of Maria SS dei Miracoli

The Sanctuary of Maria Santissima dei Miracoli is located in the lower part of the town and is of Latin rite. It consists of a nave, surrounded by four altars, decorated with plaster stuccoes and friezes. Legend has it that one day, towards the end of the 17th century, a man with leprosy arrived in […]


Collegio di Maria

The College of Mary of Monreale was founded in 1724 by the archpriest brothers, Alberto Greco Carlino and Can. Lorenzo with the aim of educating and training the girls of the city. This magnificent 18th-century college is located in the heart of the old-city centre of Monreale and the main façade overlooks Piazza Vaglica in […]


Santa Chiara Complex

The complex of Santa Chiara with its church, monastery, hermitage and conservatory is located near the Ballarò market. The church dates back to the 17th century and has a single nave. The facade is enhanced by a Baroque bell tower and once featured a beautiful portal by Paolo d’Amato, destroyed by bombs during the last […]


Capuchin Convent and Church of Santa Maria della Bagnara

The Capuchin convent of Castronovo was built in 1610: the first Capuchin convent of Sicily, built in 1533, was also located in the open countryside of Castronovo. The convent is dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari and the small church to Saint Mary at Bagnara. The church has a single nave, with a longitudinal shape […]


Drinking fountain

The Fountain, located in Piazza Castello, was built in front of the house of Princess Beatrice del Carretto in the seventeenth century at her request.  In Baroque style, the central view is impressive: the water flows out of the face of a marble lion and over a stone font. In the lower part, engraved petals […]


Old Fountain

Prince Domenico Corvino had the “Old Fountain” built in 1774, placing the so-called “weapons” on top of it. The weapons, still present today, are made up of a shield surmounted by a crow. Historians consider the shield as the coat of arms of the municipality, placed there to indicate the properties of the water of […]


GAM Modern Art Gallery

The modern art gallery is an art museum located in the old-city centre, in the two adjacent buildings of the former Franciscan convent of the Church of Sant’Anna and Palazzo Bonet. Palazzo Bonet, which dates back to the second half of the 15th century, was the residence of a Catalan merchant. In Gothic-Catalan style, the […]


The Chamber of Wonders

The Chamber of Wonders is one of the many testimonies of the passage of the Arabs in Sicily. Hidden in an apartment inside an 18th-century building in the centre of Palermo, (in Via Porta di Castro, 239), the Chamber is entirely painted blue and decorated with silver Arabic lettering. According to scholars, the blue room […]


The Church of the Collegio di Maria

The Church of the College of Mary, in Baucina, is particularly important because it contains the body of the martyr and patron saint of the town, Santa Fortunata. The church was built in 1745, next to the adjoining college, already standing in 1728. The entrance is flanked by false columns, four per side, sculpted in […]


The Cuba

The Cuba, from the Arabic qubba “dome”, is a sumptuous Norman palace located in Corso Calatafimi in Palermo. The building is a regular square-shaped construction, built with worked stones, commissioned by William II “The Good” and completed in 1180. Four tower-shaped blocks protrude in the centre of each side. The most protruding block was the […]


Villa Filangeri

Currently the seat of the town hall of Santa Flavia, Villa Filangeri was the holiday residence of Prince Pietro Filangeri. The facade of the villa is in Baroque style, with a characteristic staircase with double ramp and decorations in Rococo stucco. On the left side there is a small chapel and not far from the […]


Museum of Industrial Archaeology

The Museum of Industrial Railway Archaeology, opened in 2008, is the only one of its kind in Sicily. It tells the story of the Sicilian railways through the ancient working tools and mechanical devices on display. Located in the premises of the former Station Master, in the Roccapalumba railway station, visitors can admire ancient railway […]


Ethno-anthropological Museum

Recently inaugurated, the Territorial Museum is home to the farming memories and traditions of Roccapalumba. The Museum traces the history, religion and crafts of Sicilian forebears. Inside, in addition to the ancient utensils and a faithful reproduction of an ancient Sicilian house, wine and oil-making methods are explained, along with the wheat growing cycle, so […]


Ce. S. A. R. Astronomical Observatory, Centre for astronomical studies

The astronomical observatory of Roccapalumba is located in the light-pollution-free hamlet of Regalgiffoli. This Astronomical Study Centre is the reference point for Sicilian astrophiles, thanks to its sophisticated technology. Inside is a powerful Newton telescope, with automatic targeting system for the observation of more than 4000 celestial bodies, and special astronomical photography equipment.


Planetarium

The “Francesco Nicosia” planetarium of Roccapalumba, also called the “town of the stars” for its commitment to spreading astronomy, is an optical-mechanical instrument which allows virtually projecting, onto a semi-spherical dome, the stars and planets visible to the naked eye from every part of the planet. The projector simulates the movements of the planets of […]


Rock Tombs

The rock tombs of Roccapalumba can be traced back to late antiquity. All over the area several settlements are to be found with annexed necropolis, made up of tombstones with arcosolium or grottoes dug out of isolated rocky outcrops. The graffiti inside them are of considerable anthropological interest. This type of tomb, however, could well […]


Palazzo Giardina

Palazzo Giardina, better known as the Castle of Ficarazzi, is the historical symbol of the town. In the 15th century, the building was simply a watchtower erected to protect the sugar cane plantations planted by viceroy Pietro Speciale. In 1733 the property passed into the hands of the noble family Giardina, originally from Palermo, who […]


Villa Grasso Cannizzaro Giardina

Located at the end of Via Sammartino, Villa Grasso Cannizzaro Giardina is a late 17th-century palazzo inherited by Maria Carolina Grasso Vernengo who married Prince Giuseppe De Spuches di Galati, and subsequently his brother-in-law, Baron Antonino Giardina Cannizzaro. The building has a staircase with a double ramp, similar to the villas of Palermo and originally […]


Palazzo Giardina Cannizzaro Giannone

Palazzo Giardina Cannizzaro Giannone is located on Corso Umberto I, where the hamlet of Ficarazzelli begins. Built in the 18th century as a residence of the Cannizzaro Family, it has a staircase leading to the main floor and is surmounted by a coat of arms. The interior rooms were frescoed in the 19th century.


Villa dei Caduti- Parco della Rimembranza

Built in 1932 near Largo Torre di Ficarazzi square, the Villa dei Caduti, also known as Parco della Rimembranza, is a war memorial.


Basilian Monastery

Located on the outskirts of Mezzojuso is the religious and cultural centre of the Albanians in Sicily, the Basilian Monastery, built in 1609. The Monastery houses a library with very rare Greek and 16th-century manuscripts. Hence, the Basilian Monastery is home to a workshop for the restoration of Old Books. Inside the Basilian Monastery, where […]


Palazzo Monachelli

The building was erected in the 19thcentury as a residence of the Monachelli family. The latter played a very important role in the history of Bolognetta starting in the 19th century and until 1950: they were landowners, notaries, mayors and priests of the town. On the terrace of the palazzo is an original iron lookout […]


Peschiera dei Borboni

Originally a fishery, with a small lake for farming freshwater fish, the Pescheria dei Borboni (Bourbon Fishery) was built by the Bourbons during the refurbishment of the royal estate in 1800. The small lake is dry for most of the year, except for a little pond which forms in the winter months.


Villa Ramacca

Located at the foot of Mount Catalfano, Villa Ramacca was built in the 18th century at the behest of Bernardo Gravina, prince of Ramacca. The building, which is accessed by means of a long avenue crossing a garden full of exotic plants, has a large terrace on the front of the courtyard, covered with coloured […]


Villa Villarosa

Construction work on Villa Villarosa began around 1770 at the behest of the Duke of Villarosa, Don Placido Notarbartolo. Situated on the slopes of Mount Giancaldo, the style of the building is of neoclassical inspiration, devoid of baroque elements but with references to Greek art. The villa is a rectangular building with two floors, and […]


Palazzo Galletti Inguaggiato

Villa Gualletti Inguaggiato was built around 1770 by the marquis of Santa Marina, Giovanni Pietro Galletti. The villa is one of the best preserved in Bagheria, an example of the fusion of neoclassical and baroque styles. Made of tuff without plaster coating, it features decorations characterized by festoons and vases typical of the 18th century. […]


Palazzo Cutò

Palazzo Aragona Cutò was built between 1712 and 1716 at the behest of the Prince of Aragon, Luigi Onofrio Naselli, and in 1803 was sold to the Prince of Cutò, Alessandro Filangeri. In 1908, the property passed into the hands of the grandson of the Prince of Cutò, Giuseppe Tommasi da Lampedusa, the famous writer […]


The Mother Church

The Mother Church is dedicated to St. Joseph, the patron saint of Campofelice, and is located along the town’s main street. It was built in the early-19th century, together with a first group of houses, and subsequently rebuilt. Particularly appealing is the art-nouveau style of the bell-tower, completed in 1927. The church contains the sculpture […]


Archaeological Area of Monte Castellaccio

Ample evidence of the historical origins of Campofiorito is represented by the numerous archaeological artifacts unearthed in the area of Monte Castellaccio. Many of these have been found by the local inhabitants while others are the result of in-depth studies and research. In the archaeological area of Monte Castellaccio, just 5 km from the centre […]


Cuba of Ciprigna

Also known as Arab Cuba, the Cuba of Ciprigna is an emblematic architectural presence that represents the mark of Arab culture in Vicari and the surrounding area. This building was originally located in the open countryside but with the subsequent expansion of the town, it gradually became an integral part of it. It features a […]

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH OUR SCHEMES

Follow our social channels and subscribe to the newsletter